"Edgefield County as it Happens"

Sections
Headlines
Opinion

Obituaries
Sports
Crime Blotter
Happenings
Country Cooking
Wandering Minds
Classifieds
Birthdays 
On The Record
Church Listings
Archives

Featured Columns
Pastor Howle
Editor's Column
Wise Tech Tips





Registered Sex Offenders for Edgefield County

Contact us
Contact Info
Phone:
803-634-0964 day
803-279-5041 eve
803-279-8943 fax

Mail to
EdgefieldDaily.com
PO Box 972
Edgefield SC
29824


Archived Columns
Carl Langley
Wise Tech Tips
Dr. Skip Myers
School System
EC District Office
School Board
Strom Thurmond

Charter Schools
Fox Creek

Private Schools

Wardlaw Academy

Public Offices
Edgefield County
Edgefield
Johnston
Trenton

Political
State and Federal Legislative Contacts

Local Political Parties
Republican Party
Democrat Party
Rep Women of EC

Chamber of Commerce
Edgefield County Chamber

Historical

Edgefield Genealogical
Society



News links    
The Citizen News
The Jail Report
Aiken Standard

North Augusta Star
The State
Augusta Chronicle
Atlanta  Journal
United Press
Associated Press
FOX News
Reuters
CNS News
WorldNet Daily
Newsmax
Drudge Report
GoogleNews
Yahoo!News
New York Times
New York Post
Los Angeles Times
Washington Times
Washington Post








County Honors Former Rep. Butler Derrick Jr. at Council Meeting

web posted July 2, 2014

EDGEFIELD The Edgefield County Council took a moment to pause the council meeting in order for members of council to sign and present the late Butler Carson Derrick Jr.'s wife with a just passed resolution honoring his "Outstanding Life" of public service. The framed resolution was presented to his wife, Beverly, accompanied by Derrick's brother Thomas. Following the presentation, council moved on to cover a short and rather mundane agenda.

The resolution can be found here in its entirety.

Council gave final reading to an amendment to the ordinance governing the lease of the county airport hangers at the Trenton Airport. It passed on a 4-1 vote with Councilman Dorn voting no.

Raymond Batchelor, Director of Edgefield County EMS, was appointed to the SC Midlands Emergency Medical Service Management Association by a unanimous vote.

Thee bids were approved unanimously including two awarded to Plunkett for a 2.5 ton HVAC unit ($4,400) and a 6 ton unit ($7,875) to be installed at the Edgefield County Detention Center.

A bid to replace the roof on the County owned Neighbor Center was granted to Nelson Roofing, LLC at a cost of $9,180 with a 30 year guarantee. The county's insurance will cover half of the cost, less a $1,000 deductible. That leaves the total cost to the county at $5,590.

During County Administrator Lynn Strom's report, first on her list was a generous donation to the county for the Bettis Park to go towards a planned picnic shelter at the park. Mrs. Strom said Bridgestone uses the park once a year for an employee appreciation day and they have donated $5,700 towards the project.

She stated the county has received a FEMA reimbursement for debris removal by the county road crew in the amount of $76,400 this week. That is a 75% reimbursement of the total cost spent by the county during the ice storm. The county has to cover the other 25% of costs. The funds will be placed in the road maintenance account. Strom said that there is the possibility additional FEMA funds could come at a later date for road repairs that had to be done due to damage, but those are under review.

The closing on the Manor House property will be completed in the coming weeks after a needed document had been received. That will pave the way for the construction of the County Animal Shelter.

Administrator Strom said the county received only one bid on the remodeling of the Sweetwater Community Center by Stewart Builders of Aiken and the county is currently in negotiations with the company. She and Vice-chair Genia Blackwell will be meeting this week with the company to discuss the project.

Chairman Dean Campbell ended the meeting with only two comments in his report. First to thank everyone who voted in the June 10 primaries, "thank you", and to wish everyone a safe and happy 4th of July.

With no other business the meeting was adjourned.







For all past articles please visit our Archives

Copyright 2014 - All material is property of Edgefield Daily and/or parent company ECL and cannot be reproduced, rewritten or redistributed without expressed written permission.