"Edgefield County as it Happens"

Sections
Headlines
Opinion

Obituaries
Sports
Crime Blotter
Happenings
Country Cooking
Wandering Minds
Classifieds
Birthdays 
On The Record
Church Listings
Archives

Featured Columns
Pastor Howle
Editor's Column



Below Ad not linked


Registered Sex Offenders for Edgefield County

Contact us
Contact Info
Phone:
803-634-0964 day
803-279-5041 eve
803-279-8943 fax

Mail to
EdgefieldDaily.com
PO Box 972
Edgefield SC
29824


Archived Columns
Carl Langley
Wise Tech Tips
Dr. Skip Myers
School System
EC District Office
School Board
Strom Thurmond

Charter Schools
Fox Creek

Private Schools

Wardlaw Academy

Public Offices
Edgefield County
Edgefield
Johnston
Trenton

Political
State and Federal Legislative Contacts

Local Political Parties
Republican Party
Democrat Party
Rep Women of EC

Chamber of Commerce
Edgefield County Chamber

Historical

Edgefield Genealogical
Society



News links    
The Citizen News
The Jail Report
Aiken Standard

North Augusta Star
The State
Augusta Chronicle
Atlanta  Journal
United Press
Associated Press
FOX News
Reuters
CNS News
WorldNet Daily
Newsmax
Drudge Report
GoogleNews
Yahoo!News
New York Times
New York Post
Los Angeles Times
Washington Times
Washington Post








Philippi Baptist Church Celebrates 200 Years of Service

web posted March 25, 2014

JOHNSTON – On February 23, 2014, Philippi Baptist Church of Johnston celebrated 200 years since the church was organized to serve a rural area of the Johnston community. The Bicentennial Celebration began with the regular Sunday Morning Worship Services by Philippi Baptist Church’s Pastor, Rev. Josh McClendon. The church was filled with an estimated 300 persons in attendance. Following the morning service, dinner was served in the church fellowship hall to all those who were present.

During the interim between services, special exhibits consisting of historical photographs and other items of historical interest were on display for public view. The special Bicentennial Service began at 2:00 PM, with guest speaker Rev. Dr. Frank S. Page. Rev. Dr. Page is President and CEO of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee and is a former President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

The special afternoon service also included recognition of special guests and former pastors, special music, historical readings, and a collection of personal memories. The Bicentennial Celebration concluded with a brief dedication service for a South Carolina Historical Marker that has been placed on the grounds of the church.    

Philippi Baptist Church began on February 26, 1814, as the “Baptist Church of Christ at Bull Branch”, which was founded by 25 charter members. On that inaugural date in 1814, three ministers of the gospel comprised the presbytery of the church, consisting of Rev. Thomas Deloach, Rev. Francis Walker, and Rev. John Landrum. Over the past 200 years, it is believed that four church buildings have served as the Philippi Baptist Church Sanctuary.

The present, and fourth, church sanctuary was completed in July of 1897, during the pastorate of Rev. Dr. J. C. Browne of Aiken. Several additions and upgrades that have taken place to the church over the years, which has over time been developed into the beautiful church that we see today. The first sanctuary was a log structure that was located on Bull Branch, which was located near Snake Branch Road, Johnston. Prior to 1886, Philippi Baptist Church maintained membership primarily in the Edgefield Baptist Association. Philippi Baptist Church has been a member of the Ridge Baptist Association since the establishment of the association in 1886. 

February 23, 2014 at Philippi Baptist Church was a day that will be remembered as beautiful day of celebration, where we remembered the past service that the church has provided for the community and as we look forward to the next 100 years of obedience to the great commission of sharing the Gospel in the Johnston Community and beyond.  






For all past articles please visit our Archives

© Copyright 2014 - All material is property of Edgefield Daily and/or parent company ECL and cannot be reproduced, rewritten or redistributed without expressed written permission.