Off The Wall
On The Record
Registered Sex Offenders for Edgefield County
2005 Crime Stats
Video & Audio Updates
EC District Office
State and Federal Legislative Contacts
Chamber of Commerce
Edgefield County Chamber
The Citizen News
North Augusta Star
New York Times
New York Post
Los Angeles Times
So You Think You Know Everything?
web posted August 21, 2007
CARL LANGLEY – The following is a weekly quiz compiled by retired newspaper reporter, editor and columnist Carl Langley. It is aimed at expanding a reader’s word power and general knowledge. Take the quiz and write down your answers to see how well you score.
1. George de Mestral, a Swiss electrical engineer, is famous for discovering which of these products?
A. the video camera
B. the sewing machine
D. blood pressure gauge
2. American gangster John Dillinger was killed shortly after attending a movie titled Manhattan Melodrama at which of these theaters in Chicago?
3. Who was the navigator on Amelia Earhart’s plane, which disappeared over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 and has never been found?
A. Robert Bartlett
B. Nelson Riley
C. Fred Noonan
D. Albert Jackson
4. Which of these foods never spoils?
5. Rosin, a key ingredient in many products including lipstick and chewing gum, comes from what source?
A. Whale fat
B. Shark fins
C. Watermelon rind
D. Pine tree fibers
6. What are enzymes and what do they do?
A. Small insects that eat wood
B. A tiny fish that controls algae
C. Proteins that cause chemical reactions
D. Chemicals that give paints their colors.
7. What is a ballustrade?
A. A type of oak tree
B. The lead dancer in a ballet production
C. A Civil War era cannonball
D. A row of small posts supporting a railing
8. On what island is the Statue of Liberty located and when was it dedicated?
A. Coney Island, N.Y., Dec. 1, 1901
B. Sullivan’s Island, N.Y., June 1, 1915
C. Ellis Island, N.Y., Oct. 28, 1886
D. Nantucket Island, N.Y., Feb. 15, 1880
9. The aurora borealis, or northern lights, occurs in the Arctic region, When the light display is seen at the Antarctic region what is the meteorological designation for this light show?
A. Aurora europa
B. Aurora australis
C. Aurora South Americus
D. Aurora Bora Bora
10. Which one of the aircraft listed below exploded and burned in Lindenhurst, N.J., in 1937, killing 37 people and ending their use as commercial transports.
A. The Graf Spee
B. The Bismarck
C. The Hindenburg
D. The Waterloo
GRADES---10 right superior, 9 right excellent, 8 right very good, 7 right passing, 6 right re-enroll in elementary school.
For all past articles please visit our Archives
All original material is property of EdgefieldDaily.com and cannot be reproduced, rewritten or redistributed without the expressed written permission of Edgefield Daily.com
EdgefieldDaily.com is a member of the
Chamber of Commerce
New Link Below
Information and Activities
A new book by Columnist Carl Langley
JAM Straight Customs
We still need recipes for Cooking Section
WEBNEWS – Send in your favorite or favorites. There is no limit to the number of recipes you can send in. With the Editor’s wife being the driving force behind her own personal section, help her create an exchange of local favorites, home cooking, grilling, sauces, and deserts! Send in your submissions here.