Off The Wall
On The Record
Registered Sex Offenders for Edgefield
2005 Crime Stats
& Audio Updates
PO Box 972
State and Federal
Local Political Parties
Chamber of Commerce
New York Times
New York Post
Los Angeles Times
past articles please visit our Archives
You Think You Know Everything?
By Carl Langley
EdgefieldDaily.com Guest Columnist
posted October 22, 2007
GUEST COLUMN – The following is a weekly quiz compiled by
retired newspaper reporter, editor and columnist Carl Langley. It is
aimed at expanding a reader’s word power and general knowledge. Take
the quiz and write down your answers to see how well you score.
1. Who was the first woman to swim the English Channel?
A. Gertrude Ederle
B. Sallie Cooks
C. Isabel Cinquegrande
D. Marjorie Main
2. Who was the heavyweight champion dubbed the Brown Bomber?
A. James Bibbs
B. Joe Louis
C. Smiley Burnette
D. Alf Landon
3. Who wrote the classic American novel “The Man Without a Country’’?
A. James Whitcomb Riley
B. Edward Everett Hale
C. Benedict Arnold
D. John L. Sullivan
4. Which of these men served as vice president during the
administration of President Calvin Coolidge?
A. Charles Evans Hughes
B. Andrew W. Mellon
C. Frank B. Davis
D. Charles G. Dawes
5. Who was the first American to win the U.S. Open Golf Tournament?
A. Francis Ouimet
B. Gene Sarazen
C. Bobby Jones
D. Walter Hagen
6. On the Lewis-Clark expedition to the West Coast in 1805 a child born
to Indian guide and interpreter Sacagawea was given what name?
A. James Markley Lewis
B. Robert Charles Clark
C. Jean Baptiste Charbonneau
D. Running Elk
7. These two actors appeared in dozens of westerns and are regarded as
the first of the singing cowboys. Who are they?
A. Bill Hixon and Shane Massey
B. Gene Autry and Roy Rogers
C. John Barrymore and Lionel Barrymore
D. Grouch Marx and Harpo Marx
8. This famed woman scientist was among the first researchers to
discover the properties of radiation. Who was she?
A. Barbara Streisand
B. Marilyn Monroe
C. Marie Curie
D. Mae West
9. This federal cabinet member was responsible for the purchase of
Alaskan territories from Russia. Who was he?
A. Robert LaFollette
B. Thurlow Weed
C. James Michael Curley
D. William Seward
10. The Louisiana Purchase involved the buying of hundreds of thousands
of lands covering more than a dozen states in the Midwest of the United
States. How much did the land cost per acre?
C. 3 cents
D. 50 cents
Scoring: 10 right, go to the head of the class, 9 right, excellent, 8
right, good, 7 right, passing, 6 or less right, re-enroll in elementary
original material is property of
EdgefieldDaily.com and cannot be reproduced, rewritten or redistributed
without the expressed written permission of Edgefield Daily.com
We still need recipes for Cooking Section
WEBNEWS – Send in your favorite or
favorites. There is no limit to the number of recipes you can send in.
With the Editor’s wife being the driving force behind her own personal
section, help her create an exchange of local favorites, home cooking,
grilling, sauces, and deserts! Send in your submissions here.